Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cinderella

I read The Second Shepherds' Pageant (Wakefield) for my Medieval Literature class and I found something in the reading that made me think of Cinderella, and I wonder how far back the ideas for fairy tales go. The beginning of the Second Shepherds play starts with three shepherds, then this guy Mak steals a sheep, then the shepherds look for the sheep at Mak's house and Mak and his wife have the sheep swaddled like a baby as a disguise, well anyway, to make this story short the shepherds are the holy fools and can't tell it's a sheep for a while, but then they start to look closer and see that he has horns, and a long snout, and Mak's wife says to them :


He was takyn with an elfe-

I saw it myself-

When the clok stroke twelf

Was he forshapyn.


This was mainly to associate witchcraft and paganism with Mak and his wife who are sinners, but I saw Cinderella transforming at midnight. I couldn't trace any fairy tales that resemble Cinderella back to the Medieval period, but a movie was made called, Ever After, which was a version of Cinderella set in the Medieval period! How cool. Drew Barrymore did a wonderful job in the movie.


No comments: