Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Juniper Tree or the Burning Bush?

Dr. Sexson read us the first half of The Juniper Tree which is an interesting story with a happy ending I guess. I noticed that there were a lot of Biblical influences in the text and possibly more than what I noticed since I am not well acquainted with the Bible. First of all the couple couldn't have children just like Joseph and Mary could not have children, and then it seemed like the juniper tree granted the couple a child just as God had done for Joseph and Mary. Then, even the book says on page 60 side note #3 that the date of the fairy tale is Biblical and the boy dies and is resurrected which I would think is a reference to Jesus Christ. Then when the boy is resurrected a flame was burning in the juniper tree.....anything like the burning bush Moses stood before. The burning bush was God and God granted Mary and Joseph children and the juniper tree seemed to grant the couple with the little boy. Maybe a big stretch comparing the juniper tree as God, maybe not. I'm just speculating and exploring. See notes 10 and 13 for more Biblical references that the book gives you. It is interesting and not suprising that this text from the Children's Literature genre uses influences from another foundation of literature, along with all the others too. The Biblical literature influence struck me while I was listening to Dr. Sexson read the story to us.

No comments: