Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Ching, U Ching, We all Ching together

Erin Doherty has an excellent image comparison of the I Ching and the alethiometer on her blog.

The I Ching also called “Classic of Changes” or “Book of Changes” is one of the oldest of the Chinese classic texts. The book is a symbol system used to identify order in chance events. The text describes an ancient system of ccosmology and philosophy that is intrinsic to ancient Chinese cultural beliefs. The cosmology centres on the ideas of the dynamic balance of opposites, the evolution of events as a process, and acceptance of the inevitability of change (see Philosophy, below). In Western cultures and modern East Asia, the I Ching is sometimes regarded as a system of divination. The classic consists of a series of symbols, rules for manipulating these symbols, poems, and commentary. Thank you Wikipedia. Also see I Ching divination.
Symbols and rules for the symbols....sounds like the alethiometer. There are also books that help translate symbols, much like there are for the alethiometer. Mary Malone actually has an I Ching in her office....later she uses it to communicate with Dust. When Lyra asks about it, page 369 in The Subtle Knife, Mary responds by telling Lyra that it is a form of divination, fortune-telling, and it is only up for decoration. Decoration!? Then it just so happens it comes in handy later for Mary. Coincedence that it was only there in her office for decoration....I don't think so. Lyra tells Mary that the I Ching is used to communicate with Dust or Dark Matter.

No comments: